White Roding, Essex

Historical Description

Roding, White, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands 1 ½ mile W of the river Roding, and 5 miles E by S of Sawbridgeworth station on the Cambridge line of the G.E.R., and has a post and money order office under Dunmow; telegraph office, Matching Green. The parish contains also the hamlet of Roding Morrell, and comprises 2539 acres; population, 383. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £359 with residence. The church,, which stands in a good position and can be seen from a considerable distance, is the best of the Roding churches. It is a building of rubble in mixed styles, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and an embattled western tower with five bells and spire. The chancel has some Decorated portions, but is chiefly in the Perpendicular style; the nave is partly Early Norman and partly Perpendicular, and the tower is Perpendicular. There is a Congregational chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish White Roothing St. Martin
Hundred Dunmow
Poor Law union Dunmow

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for White Roding from the following:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: