Wethersfield, an ancient village and a parish in Essex. The village stands 6 ½ miles NW of Braintree station on the Braintree and Dunmow branch, and 7 W from Halstead station on the Colne Valley Line of the G.E.R., and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Braintree. The parish includes the hamlets of Blackmore End, Beazley End, and Rotten End, and comprises 4223 acres; population, 1300. The manor of Wethersfield belongs to the Paines, and the manor of Codham Hall to the Garrods. Wethersfield Manor House is a chief residence. Great Codham Hall is now a farmhouse. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, .6205. Patron, Trinity Hall, Cambridge. The church is an ancient building of flint in mixed styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, and an embattled western tower. It has some good stained windows, and some fine ancient tombs and memorials. There is a Congregational chapel, and some useful charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wethersfield St. Mary Magdalene|
|Poor Law union||Braintree|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wethersfield from the following:
Online maps of Wethersfield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: