West Thurrock, Essex

Historical Description

Thurrock, West, a parish in Essex, on the Thames, 1 ½ mile W by S of Grays station on the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway. It includes Purfleet, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Grays. Acreage, 3000; population, 2540. Much of the land is marsh. There are some large cement works. The manor belongs to the Whitbread family. There was formerly a monastery here, some traces of which still remain. The living is a vicarage, with Purfleet annexed, in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £154 with residence. The church, which stands on the river bank, is an ancient building in mixed styles, consisting of chancel, nave, N transept, aisles, and a low western embattled tower. It has some ancient brasses and monuments. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish West Thurrock St. Clement
Hundred Barstable
Poor Law union Orsett

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for West Thurrock from the following:


Maps

Online maps of West Thurrock are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: