West Horndon, Essex
Horndon, West, or West Thomdon, a parish in Essex, with a station called East Horndon, 5 miles S from Brentwood station on the G.E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Brentwood. Acreage, 1396; population, 102. Thomdon Hall was formerly the seat of the Fitzwalters, is now the seat of Lord Petre, and has a Roman Catholic chapel attached. It was greatly injured by fire in 1878. The living of West Horndon with Ingrave is a rectory, in the diocese of St Albans; net yearly value, , £368 with residence. There is no church. The population of the united ecclesiastical parishes is 653.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||West Horndon St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Billericay|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for West Horndon from the following:
Online maps of West Horndon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: