West Hanningfield, Essex

Historical Description

Hanningfield, West, a village and a parish in Essex, 6 miles E from Ingatestone station on the G.E.R., and 6 SSE from Chelmsford. Post town, Chelmsford; money order and telegraph office, Stock. Acreage, 2839; population of the civil parish, 464; of the ecclesiastical, with South Hanningfield, 633. The manor belongs to Lord Petre. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of South Han-ningneld, in the diocese of St Albans; joint net value, £490. The church is Later English, in good condition, has a wooden cruciform tower and spire, and contains some tombs and brasses of the 14th century.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish West Hanningfield St. Mary and St. Edward
Hundred Chelmsford
Poor Law union Chelmsford

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for West Hanningfield from the following:


Maps

Online maps of West Hanningfield are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: