West Bergholt, Essex
Bergholt, West, a village and a parish in Essex, on the river Cohie, near the G.E.R., 3 miles NW of Colchester. There is a post and telegraph office; money order office, Bergholt Road. Acreage, 2287 ; population, 1042. A circular entrenchment here is thought to have been the site of the residence of the British King Cunobeline. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £419 with residence. The church is a stone edifice in the Norman and Decorated styles.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||West Bergholt St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Lexden and Winstree|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for West Bergholt from the following:
Online maps of West Bergholt are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: