Walthamstow, a parish in Essex, adjoining Leyton, about 1 mile from the river Lea, and 7 miles from London. It formerly contained only a small village and a few hamlets with a large number of mansions and parks, but the opening of the G.E.R. branch line to Chingford effected a great change, and the mansions and parks are rapidly giving way to streets and roads, and the place has already become a populous suburb of the metropolis. The G.E.R. has four stations here, known respectively as James' Street, Hoe Street, Wood Street, and Hale End; and the Midland has two stations, Walthamstow and Blackhorse Road. The parish is within the jurisdiction of the Central Criminal Court, and is included within the Metropolitan Police District and the East London Suburban Postal District, and is governed by an urban district council of eighteen members. The parish is well drained, the sewage being disposed of at a sewage farm of 160 acres, the freehold of the district council, and it is supplied with water by the East London Water Co. The town-hall is a building of brick and stone in the modern French style. There is a literary institute founded in 1882, a public dispensary, an hospital home for children, a working men's club and institute, a free public library, and two social clubs. The grammar school was originally founded in 1527 by Sir George Monoux, Knt., and was reorganised under the provisions of a scheme approved by the Queen in Council in 1884. It occupies a fine block of buildings in the High Street erected in 1890 at a cost of £5000. The Forest School is a high-class boarding school in connection with King's College, London, affording education to about 130 pupils. There is a High School for girls on Church Hill. An institution of a somewhat different character is the North London Certified Industrial (Truant) School in High Street, which was founded in 1883 by the joint action of the Hornsey, Tottenham, and Edmonton School Boards, and opened in 1884. The charities are numerous, and include three groups of endowed almshouses, affording homes to nineteen poor persons, and the income derived from various bequests, amounting to about £1000 a year. Walthamstow is within the diocese of St Albans, and it includes in addition to the mother parish of St Mary, the ecclesiastical parishes of St John, St Peter, St Saviour with St James, St Stephen, and St Michael and All Angels. The living of St Mary with St Gabriel's is a vicarage; tithe rent charge, £410 with residence, in the gift of Simeon's Trustees. The church, a plain building of Kentish rag faced with cement, dates from the middle of the 13th century, was founded by Queen Eleanor, has been enlarged and restored, and contains some good tombs and monuments. Among the latter is a very handsome life-size efiigy of Countess Stanley, foundress of the Derby family. The ecclesiastical parish of St John was formed in 1844. The living is a vicarage of the net value of £80, in the gift of the Vicar of Walthamstow. The church, erected in 1829, is a building of brick and stone in the Tudor style. St Peter's was formed in 1844. The living is a vicarage of the gross value of £200, in the gift of the Vicar of Walthamstow. The church, situated in the Forest, is a plain structure of brick, consisting of apsidal chancel, nave, and tower on the N side. St Saviour with St James' was formed in 1844. The living is a vicarage of the gross value of £300 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St Albans. The church of St Saviour is a building of Kentish rag in the Early Decorated style. The church of St James, erected in 1840 as a chapel of ease to St Saviour's, is a building of brick in the Tudor style. St Stephen's was formed in 1881 from Walthamstow and Low Leyton. The living is a vicarage of the gross value of £400, in the gift of trustees. The church, consecrated in 1878, is a building of brick in the Early English style. St Michael and All Angels' was formed in 1887. The living is a vicarage of the gross value of £210, in the gift of the Bishop of St Albans. The church, erected in 1885, is a large building of brick, with sittings for 800 persons, in the Early Decorated style. The church of St Gabriel, erected in 1884 as a chapel of ease to St Mary's, is a building of brick in the Early English style. There is also a chapel of ease dedicated to St Andrew, and there are four Baptist, two Congregational, three Primitive Methodist, and two Wesleyan chapels, and a Friends' meeting-house. Area of the parish, 4248 acres of land and 107 of water. Population of the civil parish, 46,346; of the ecclesiastical parish of St Mary, 17,230; of St John, 4177; of St Peter, 908; of St Saviour with St James, 12,158; of St Stephen, 3728; of St Michael and All Angels, 7922.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Walthamstow St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||West Ham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Walthamstow from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: