Wallasea, Essex

Historical Description

Wallasea, formerly an island, now a peninsula in Rochford union, Essex, 5 ½ miles ENE of Rochford. It is bounded on the N by the river Crouch, on other sides by narrow belts of water; communicates with the mainland by a causeway; measures 3 ½ miles in length and 1 ¾ mile in breadth; consists chiefly of fertile marsh; and is divided among the parishes of Canewdon, Eastwood, Paglesham, Great Stambridge, and Little Wakering. It has a good supply of water derived from some deep artesian wells.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Hundred Rochford
Poor Law union Rochford

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Wallasea from the following: