Virley or Salcott Virley, Essex

Historical Description

Virley or Salcott Virley, a parish in Essex, 7 miles SE of Kelvedon station on the G.E.R. main line. Post town, Witham; money order and telegraph office, Tolleshunt D'Arcy. Acreage, 347; population of the civil parish, 75; of the ecclesiastical, with Salcott, 292. The manor belongs to the baronet family of Abdy. . The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans, united with that of Salcott; joint gross value, £210. The church, now in ruins, is an ancient building of flint and rubble in the Early English style.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Virley St. Mary
Hundred Winstree
Poor Law union Lexden and Winstree

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Virley or Salcott Virley from the following:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: