Upton and Upton Park, Essex

Historical Description

Upton and Upton Park, formerly small villages or hamlets, are now populous metropolitan suburbs, partly included within the parish of East Ham, partly within the borough of West Ham, and adjoining Plaistow and Forest Gate, in Essex, about 5 ½ miles E of St Paul's, London. There is a station called Upton Park on the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway, and the districts are included within the Eastern Metropolitan Postal District. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £200 with residence, in the gift of The Bishop of St Albans. The church, which stands in the little hamlet of Plashet, now absorbed into Upton Park, was erected in 1886-87, and is a building of flint in the Early English style. There is a Roman Catholic church, erected in 1888, and the Roman Catholics have also a Franciscan monastery, an Ursuline Convent, with a large school for girls and infants, and at the hamlet of Green Street a large reformatory for boys, established at a cost of about £12,000, and managed by the Brothers of Mercy. There are Baptist, Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels. An old red brick house at Green Street is said to have been the residence of Queen Anne Boleyn, and is generally known as Anne Boleyn's Castle.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: