Twinstead, Essex

Historical Description

Twinstead, a parish in Essex, 4 miles from Bures station on the G.E.R., and 4 ½ from Sudbury. It has a post office under Sudbury; money order and telegraph office, Sudbury (Suffolk). Acreage, 1153; population, 195. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £188 with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor. The church was built in i860, and is a building of red brick in the Middle Pointed or Geometrical style, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and western bell-turret.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Hundred Hinckford
Poor Law union Sudbury

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Twinstead from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Twinstead are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: