Tolleshunt Major or Beckingham, Essex
Tolleshunt Major or Beckingham, a parish, with a village, in Essex, 4 ½ miles ENE of Maldon station on the G.E.R. Post town, Witham; money order and telegraph office, Tolleshunt D'Arcy. Acreage, 2226; population, 405. There is a parish council of five members and a chairman. A seat of the Beckinghams was erected here in the time of Henry VIII., and is now represented only by an embattled gateway and walls. The living is a vicarage in the diocese St Albans; net value, £105. The church, which stands about half a mile SE of the village, formerly belonged to the priory of Caldwell, Beds, and is a building of pudding stone, Caen stone, and rubble in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and an embattled western tower. It was restored at a cost of £600 in 1888.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tolleshunt Major St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Maldon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tolleshunt Major or Beckingham from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: