Tolleshunt Knights, Essex

Historical Description

Tolleshunt Knights, a scattered parish in Essex, 5 miles SE from Kelvedon station on the G.E.R. main line, and 8 SE from Witham. Post town, Witham; money order and telegraph office, Tiptree Heath. Acreage, 2246; population of the civil parish, 480; of the ecclesiastical, 197. The manor with most of the land belongs to the Abdy family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £ 230 with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor. The church is an edifice of flint and rubble in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, and western belfry with shingled spire. There is a Congregational chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Knights' Tolleshunt All Saints
Hundred Thurstable
Poor Law union Maldon

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Tolleshunt Knights from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Tolleshunt Knights are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: