Tolleshunt Darcy, Essex

Historical Description

Tolleshunt D'Arcy, a parish, with a large village, in Essex, near the estuary of the Blackwater, 7 miles NE from Maldon station on the G.E.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Witham, and a pleasure fair on June 11. Acreage, 4446; population of the civil parish, 870; of the ecclesiastical, 717. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belongs to the Rebow family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £200 with residence. The church is a building chiefly of stone in the Perpendicular and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, N aisle, S porch, and an embattled western tower. There is a Congregational chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish D'arcy Tolleshunt St. Nicholas
Hundred Thurstable
Poor Law union Maldon

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Tolleshunt Darcy from the following:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: