Tilty, a parish in Essex, 3 ½ miles NNW of Dunmow, and 4 ½ E of Elsenham station on the G.E.R. main line. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Dunmow, under Chelmsford. Acreage, 1069; population of the civil parish, 81; of the ecclesiastical, 212. A Cistercian abbey was. founded here in 1152 by the Earl of Derby, and was given at the dissolution to Lord Audley. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £185. The church was part of the abbey, and is an edifice of rubble in the Decorated and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and a western tower with cupola.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tilty St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Dunmow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tilty from the following:
Online maps of Tilty are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: