Tillingham, Essex

Historical Description

Tillingham, a parish, with a village, in Essex, 4 miles NE from Southminster station on the G.E.R.) and 7 NE by N from Burnham. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Southminster (S.O.), and it formerly had a fair on 16 and 17 Sept. Acreage, 4666; population of the civil parish, 954; of the ecclesiastical, 944. The manor was given by Ethelbert, king of Kent (550-616), to the Cathedral of St Paul, and it now belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Most of the land belongs to the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £188 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's. The church, which stands in the centre of the village, is an ancient edifice of stone in the Early English and Perpendicular styles. It has some old brasses and a beautiful ancient font There are Baptist, Congregational, and Primitive Methodist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Tillingham St. Nicholas
Hundred Dengie
Poor Law union Maldon

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Tillingham from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Tillingham are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: