Thundersley, Essex

Historical Description

Thundersley, a parish in Essex, 1 ¾ mile SW of Rayleigh station on the G.E.R., and 2 ½ miles N by E of South Benfleet station on the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway. It has a post office under Rayleigh (S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Rayleigh. Acreage, 2545; population, 556. The manor, with most of the land, belongs to the Bosanquet family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £369 with residence. The church, which stands on an eminence, is a small but ancient edifice in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and a western turret of wood, with a spire. The church was restored and partly rebuilt in 1885 and 1887.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Thundersley St. Peter
Hundred Rochford
Poor Law union Billericay

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Thundersley from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Thundersley are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: