Thorrington, Essex

Historical Description

Thorrington, a parish in Essex, on the Tendring Hundred branch of the G.E.R., on which it has a station, 8 miles SE from Colchester. It has a post and money order office under Colchester. Acreage, 2057; population of the civil parish, 384; of the ecclesiastical, with Frating, 618. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor belongs to St John's College, Cambridge. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans, annexed to that of Frating; joint net value, £427 with residence, in the gift of St John's College, Cambridge. The church is an edifice in the Transition style, with an embattled western tower. There is a Wesleyan Methodist chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Thorrington St. Mary Magdalene
Hundred Tendring
Poor Law union Tendring

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Thorrington from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Thorrington are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: