Thorpe le Soken, Essex
Thorpe-le-Soken, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on the road from Colchester to Walton-on-the-Naze, 6 miles N from Clacton-on-Sea, and 11 SW from Harwich. It has a station on the Tendring Hundred branch of the G.E.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Colchester. The parish is a seat of petty sessions. Acreage, 3318; population, 1099. The manor of the Three Sokens belongs to the Chapman family. Thorpe Hall is a chief residence. There are some extensive mailings. In the village there is a workmen's institute and coffee tavern. There were formerly two annual fairs in May and September, but these have been discontinued. The living is a vicarage? in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £308 with residence. The church is a building of red brick and rubble stone, consisting of chancel with organ chamber and N aisle, nave, aisles, N porch, and an embattled western tower. It has some ancient and interesting tombs and monuments, and some good stained windows. There are Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Thorpe-Le-Soken St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Tendring|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Thorpe le Soken from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: