Terling, an ancient parish, with a village, situated on the Ter, in Essex, 4 ½ miles W of Witham, and 3 NW from Hatfield Peverel station on the Colchester line of the G.E.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Witham, and a fair on Whit Monday. Acreage, 3142; population, 906. Terling Place was once a palace of the Bishops of Norwich, had a large chapel with privilege of sanctuary, gave shelter in the tune of Henry III. to Hubert de Burgh, was also a residence of Henry VIII., passed in his time to the Audleys, and, with the manor and most of the land, belongs now to Lord Rayleigh. Roman coins were found in 1824. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £303 with residence. Patron, Lord Rayleigh. The church, which stands in the centre of the parish, is an ancient edifice of flint and brick, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, N and S porches, and a western tower with an octagonal shingled spire. It contains some ancient tombs and brasses. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Terling All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Witham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Terling from the following:
Online maps of Terling are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: