Tendring, Essex

Historical Description

Tendring, a village and an ancient parish, which give name to a hundred, union, and petty sessional division, in Essex. The village stands on the Holland Brook, 10 ½ miles SW from Harwich, and 2 N from Weeley station on the Tendring Hundred branch of the G.E.R. It has a post office under Colchester; money order and telegraph office, Weeley. Acreage, 2874; population, 830. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belongs to the Cardinall family. The manor house is a good mansion, standing amidst fine pleasure grounds. A fair was formerly held here on 14 Sept., but this has become obsolete. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £630 with residence. Patron, Balliol College, Oxford. The church, which stands on an eminence, is a building of rubble, chiefly in the Transition style, from Early English to Decorated, consisting of chancel, nave, S aisle, N porch, organ chamber, and an embattled western tower with spire. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Tendring St. Edmund
Hundred Tendring
Poor Law union Tendring

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Tendring from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Tendring are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: