Takeley, Essex

Historical Description

Takeley, a parish, with a village, in Essex, on the G.E.R., 4 miles E from Bishop's Stortford, and 5 W from Dunmow. It has a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Chelmsford. Acreage, 3188; population, 890. There are several small manors. An alien priory, a cell to St Valery Abbey in Picardy, was here, and was given by Edward III. to William of Wykeham's College. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £255 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St Albans. The church is an ancient building of flint in mixed styles, consisting of chancel, nave, S aisle, S porch, and an embattled western tower.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Takeley Holy Trinity
Hundred Uttlesford
Poor Law union Dunmow

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Takeley from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Takeley are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: