Strethall, Essex

Historical Description

Strethall, a village and a parish in Essex, 2 miles SW of Great Chesterford station on the G.E.R., and 4 NW from Saffron Walden. Post town, Saffron Walden; money order and telegraph office. Great Chesterford. Acreage, 629; population of the civil parish, 42; of the ecclesiastical, 164. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £171. The church is an ancient Norman building, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and an embattled western tower.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Hundred Uttlesford
Poor Law union Saffron-Walden

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Strethall from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Strethall are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: