Stondon Massey, Essex
Stondon Massey, a small village and a parish in Ongar district, Essex, 3 miles SE of Ongar station on the G.E.R. Post town, Brentwood; money order and telegraph office, Kelvedon Common. Acreage, 1126; population, 259. Stondon Place is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £373 with residence. The church is a small building of flint and stone in the Norman style, containing two ancient brasses and a finely-carved oak pulpit and reading desk. It was restored in 1850. A new-vestry, organ chamber, and memorial chapel, in memory of Mr P. Herman Meyer, lord of the manor, were added in 1873, and the belfry and spire were rebuilt in 1888. There are some small charities.
|Poor Law union||Ongar|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the entry for Standon or Stondon Massey (St. Peter and St. Paul) from Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
Online maps of Stondon Massey are available from a number of sites:
Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: