Stinted, Essex

Historical Description

Stinted, a parish in Essex, on the river Blackwater, 3 miles ENE of Braintree station on the G.E.R. It has a post and telegraph office under Braintree; money order office, Braintree. Acreage, 3035; population, 684. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor, with Stisted Hall, belongs to the Paxman family. The Hall, erected in 1825, is a fine building of white brick, standing in a well-timbered park of about 130 acres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £400 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Stisted All Saints
Hundred Hinckford
Poor Law union Braintree

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Stinted from the following:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: