Steeple Bumpstead, Essex

Historical Description

Bumpstead, Steeple, a parish in Essex, 2 ½ miles S from Stunner station on the G.E.R., and 8 ½ NE by E of Thaxted. It has a post and money order office under Haverhill, which is the telegraph office. Acreage, 3766; population of the civil parish, 1014; of the ecclesiastical, 972. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £182 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is a finely proportioned edifice of flint and brick in the Perpendicular style. There is also a Congregational chapel, rebuilt in 1884. Moyns Park and Bower Hall are country seats in this parish.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Steeple Bumpstead St. Mary
Hundred Hinckford
Poor Law union Risbridge

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Steeple Bumpstead from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Steeple Bumpstead are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: