Stebbing, Essex

Historical Description

Stebbing, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands 3 miles NE by E of Dunmow station on the Dunmow and Braintree branch of the G.E.R., and has a post and money order office under Chelmsford; telegraph office, Felstead. It is an ancient place, dating at least from the time of Edward the Confessor, and near the village there is a moated mound on which, according to tradition, a castle formerly stood. There are two flour mills, also some mailings and brickfields. A fair is held on 10 July for horses, cattle, and calves. The parish comprises 4382 acres; population, 894. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manors belonged anciently to the Peverells and the Ferrers, and belong mostly now to the Earl of Essex and the Davey family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £268 with residence. The church, which stands in the highest part of the village, is a fine building of stone in the Decorated style, dating from the early part of the 14th century. It consists of chancel with a sacristy, nave, aisles, S porch, and an embattled western tower. There are Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels and a Friends' meeting-house.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Stebbing St. Mary
Hundred Hinckford
Poor Law union Dunmow

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Stebbing from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Stebbing are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: