Stapleford Tawney, Essex
Stapleford Tawney, a parish in Essex, 5 miles ESE of Epping, and 4 W from Theydon Bois station on the G.E.R. It has a post and money order office at Passingford Bridge, 1 mile S; telegraph office, Abridge. Acreage, 1657; population of the civil parish, 216; of the ecclesiastical, 351. Suttons is a good modern mansion of stone standing in a well-timbered park which is crossed by the river Roding. The living is a rectory, united with Theydon Mount, in the diocese of St Albans, joint net value, £610 with residence. The church is a small but ancient building of flint in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, S aisle, S porch, and western belfry with spire.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tawney Stapleford St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Ongar|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stapleford Tawney from the following:
Online maps of Stapleford Tawney are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: