Stapleford Abbots, Essex

Historical Description

Stapleford Abbots, a parish in Essex, 5 ½ miles N by W of Romford station on the G.E.R. Post town, Romford; money order office, Passingford Bridge; telegraph office, Havering. Acreage, 2365; population, 370. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor belongs to the Barnes family. Albyns is a fine country mansion which was erected from the designs of Inigo Jones. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £326 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church, rebuilt in 1861 with the exception of the tower, is a building of flint in the Early English style.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: