Stanstead Mountfitchet, Essex
Stanstead Mountfitchet, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on the river Stort and the main line of the G.E.R., on which it has a station, 2 ½ miles NE of Bishop Stortford. It consists chiefly of two streets, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Bishop Stortford. It has a Central Hall in which are located the literary institute, a lecture hall, and reading rooms. A post office was erected in 1893 in close proximity to the Central Hall. The Liberal Club, a building of brick and oak, erected in 1888, also contains in addition to the reading, coffee, and billiard rooms, a large lecture hall. The industries include a steam flour-mill, maltings, and a malt-cake manufactory, and brick-making and the manufacture of drain pipes. There are also mushroom beds and nursery grounds. The parish includes the hamlet of Bentfield, and comprises 4224 acres; population, 2117. There is a parish council consisting of twelve members. The manors of Stanstead and Burnell belong to the Fuller-Maitland family, and that of Bentfield to the Gosling family. Stanstead Hall, a seat of the Fuller-Maitland family, is a mansion in the Elizabethan style, standing in a well-timbered park of about 400 acres. Hargrave Park is also a chief residence. A castle was built here by W. G. Montfichet, and is now represented by only a mound. A Benedictine priory was founded at Thremhall about 1258 by R. Montfichet, and has left some vestiges. The church and churchyard are evidently on the site of a Roman villa, as Roman tiles and pottery have from time to time been turned up. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £213 with residence. The church is an ancient and spacious building in mixed styles, dedicated to St Mary the Virgin, and consisting of chancel, nave, N chapel, S porch, and a western tower of brick. It was enlarged and restored in 1888 at a cost of £5000, and it contains some ancient and interesting tombs and monuments. A chapel of ease was erected in 1889 at a cost of over £6300, and is a building of brick and stone. An elegant tower was added in 1895. There are also Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels, and a Friends meeting-house and some endowed almshouses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stansted-Mountfitchet St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Bishop-Stortford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stanstead Mountfitchet from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: