Southminster, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands at the terminus of a branch of the G.E.R. from Woodham Fen; is, 9 miles SE of Maldon, and 2 N from Burnham, on a peninsula between the rivers Blackwater and Crouch, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office (S.O.) The parish comprises 6507 acres; population of the civil parish, 1303; of the ecclesiastical, 1294. There is a parish council consisting of nine members and a chairman. The manor belongs to the Governors of the Charterhouse. Another manor called "The Cage," belongs to the Smith family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £350 with residence, in the gift of the Governors of the Charterhouse. The church is an ancient building chiefly in the Perpendicular style. There are some remains of Norman work in the tower and S door. The ancient part consists of nave, N porch, and embattled western tower. In 1820 the chancel and transepts were built, and the nave re-roofed. Some furniture in the vestry belonged to Lord Nelson's ship the Victory, the then vicar being chaplain to Lord Nelson. Great alterations and improvements were made in the building in 1892. There are also Baptist and Congregational chapels.
Online maps of Southminster are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: