South Shoebury, Essex
Shoebury, South, a parish in Essex, on the coast, opposite the Nore, and 5 miles ESE of Southend. It contains Shoebury Fort, where there is a station on the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office (S.O.) Acreage, 1039; population, 2990. There is an urban district council consisting of nine members. The manor belongs to the Dale Knapping family. Bricks are made in considerable quantities. Traces exist of a Danish camp, formed in 894, and some Roman weapons have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £326 with residence. The church is a small but ancient edifice of stone, partly Norman, with a good enriched Norman chancel arch. The windows are Perpendicular insertions. It was formerly a chapel attached to the Cluniac Priory of Prittlewell.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||South Shoebury St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Rochford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for South Shoebury from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: