South Ockendon, Essex

Historical Description

Ockendon, South, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands 4 ½ miles NNW of Grays station on the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway, and 6 ½ SW of Romford, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Romford. The parish is sometimes called Ockendon Rokely or Wokendon. Acreage, 2935; population of the civil parish, 1071; of the ecclesiastical, 1076. The manor and most of the land belong to the Benyon family. There are several ancient mounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £637 with residence. The church is an ancient building of flint, rubble, and stone, in the Early Pointed style of the 12th and 13th centuries; was variously restored, enlarged, and rebuilt in 1866; has a richly carved Norman doorway and a round tower-the latter raised to an additional height of 18 feet in 1866; includes a chapel restored in 1863, and a new chancel built in 1866, and contains an elegant octangular Perpendicular font, a canopied brass of Sir J. Bruyn of 1480, and two other brasses. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels, and a village reading-room.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish South Ockendon St. Nicholas
Hundred Chafford
Poor Law union Orsett

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for South Ockendon from the following:


Maps

Online maps of South Ockendon are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: