Sible Hedingham, Essex
Sible Hedingham, a village and a parish on the W bank of the river Colne, in Essex, 1 mile S from Castle Hedingham station on the Colne Valley railway, and 4 miles NW from Halstead. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office under Halstead. Acreage, 5372; population, 1785. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. The manor belongs to the Majendie family. An old building in the parish, called The Hostage, was built originally by the Hawkwood family for the entertainment of pilgrims, and is now used as a farmhouse. Bricks and tiles are made in considerable quantities. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £588 with residence. The church, which was erected in the reign of Edward III., is a fine edifice of brick and stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and an embattled western tower. The chancel was restored in 1890. There are two Baptist chapels and a Congregational chapel, almshouses founded in 1884 for six aged women, and some small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sible Hedingham St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Halstead|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sible Hedingham from the following:
Online maps of Sible Hedingham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: