Shortgrove, Essex

Historical Description

Shortgrove, a seat in Newport parish, Essex, 2 ½ miles SSW of Saffron Walden. It is a fine mansion of red brick, in the Queen Anne style, with an attached deer-park of about 400 acres in extent. It belonged formerly to the Earls of Thomond, and belongs now to the Smith family.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Maps

Online maps of Shortgrove are available from a number of sites: