Shopland, a parish in Essex, 4 miles NE of Southend station on the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway, and 2 SE from Rochford station on the G.E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Rochford. Acreage, 1054; population, 56. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans. The church is an ancient edifice of brick and stone, partly Norman and partly in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and western bell turret. It has a brass of 1371, and an ancient font.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Shopland St. Mary Magdalene|
|Poor Law union||Rochford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shopland from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: