Sheering, a village and a parish in Essex, on the road from Harlow to Hatfield, 1 ¾ mile ESE from Sawbridgeworth station on the G.E.R., and 6 miles SE from Bishops Stortford. There is a post office under Harlow; money order office, Sawbridgeworth; telegraph office, Hatfield Heath. Acreage, 1616; population, 533. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. Sheering Hall is the seat of the Glyn family, who are lords of the manor and chief landowners. Quickbury is also a manor house. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £351 with-residence. Patron, Christchurch, Oxford. The church is a building of flint and brick in mixed styles, consisting of chancel, nave, vestry, N porch, and an embattled western tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Cowicks and Durrington are chief residences.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sheering St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Epping|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sheering from the following:
Online maps of Sheering are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: