Salcott, a village and a parish in Essex, on a creek of the Blackwater estuary, 7 miles SE of Kelvedon station on the main line of the G.E.R., and 8 ½ SSW of Colchester, and sometimes known as Salcot Wigborough. There is a post office under Kelvedon; money order and telegraph office, Tolleshunt D'Arcy. Acreage of the civil parish, 274; population, 217; of the ecclesiastical, 292. Part of the land is salt marsh. A fair for peddlery is held on 4 Sept. The living is a rectory, united in 1879 to that of Virley or Salcot Virley, in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £173. The church is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of nave and chancel, S porch, and an embattled western tower. The whole was carefully restored in 1893.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Salcott St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Lexden and Winstree|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Salcott from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: