Runwell, Essex

Historical Description

Runwell, a scattered village and a parish in Essex, three-quarters of a mile from Wickford station on the G.E.R., 10 miles SSE from Chelmsford, and 6 E from Billericay. Post town, Chelmsford; money order and telegraph office, Wickford. Acreage, 2071; population of the civil parish, 275; of the ecclesiastical, 289. Runwell Hall, a modern mansion of brick pleasantly situated on an eminence, is a seat of the Kemble family, who are lords of the manor and chief landowners. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £273 with residence. The church is a small building of stone and brick in the Perpendicular style. It has a hagioscope in the chancel, piscinae both in the chancel and in the aisles, some ancient and interesting tombs and monuments, and some good stained windows.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Runwell St. Mary
Hundred Chelmsford
Poor Law union Chelmsford

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Runwell from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Runwell are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: