Roydon, Essex

Historical Description

Roydon, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on the river Stort, and on the G.E.R., at the boundary with Herts, 4 ¼ miles W by S of Harlow, is sometimes called Woodredon, was formerly a market-town, and has a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Ware,, The parish comprises 3031 acres; population, 969. The manor belongs to Earl Cowley. Roydon Lodge is a modern mansion of brick and stone, situated on a bank of the river Stort, amidst some pleasant grounds. Nether Hall, an ancient mansion, belonged to the Colte family, but is now represented only by a gateway, and the property connected with it belongs now to the Houbloa family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £115 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Mornington. The church is an ancient building in mixed styles, consisting of chancel, nave, N aisle, and an embattled western tower with small spire. It is partly covered with ivy, and it contains several ancient brasses.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Roydon St. Peter
Hundred Waltham
Poor Law union Epping

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Roydon from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Roydon are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: