Roxwell, Essex

Historical Description

Roxwell, a parish, with a village, in Essex, on the Can, a feeder of the Chelmer, 4 ½ miles W by N of Chelmsford station on the G.E.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Chelmsford. Acreage, 4782; population, 766. There is a parish council consisting of seven members and a chairman. The manor belongs to Lord Petre. Skreens Park, which is situated about 1 ¼ mile west of the village, was originally the property of Sergeant William Skrene, who flourished in the reign of Henry IV. The mansion is a square building of brick, standing in a park of about 300 acres. It has belonged for about two centuries and a half to the Bramston family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £208 with residence. Patron, New College, Oxford. The church is a building of flint and stone in the Late Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, N aisle, N porch, and bell turret with spire. It has some good stained windows, and it contains some memorials of the Bramstons. Blackwall, Boyton Cross, and Chalk End are adjacent hamlets.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Roxwell St. Michael
Hundred Chelmsford
Poor Law union Chelmsford

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Roxwell from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Roxwell are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: