Rodings, Roothings, or Rudings, Essex

Historical Description

Rodings, Roothings, or Rudings, a cluster of eight agricultural parishes in Essex, all situated on or near the river Roding, from which they derive their name. They are of very great antiquity, having been established before the time of Edward the Confessor, and they are situated in a fruitful and well-wooded part of the country. From their situation, remote from any busy town, and their wholly agricultural character, they have long had the reputation of great rusticity, and in former times the inhabitants had the reputation, probably undeserved, of being the most ignorant of all in the county. One writer upon Essex has humorously described the geographical ideas of the Rodingas as consisting of the conception of the Rodings as the centre of the world, the next important portion being the "hundreds" or the remainder of Essex, while outside these they vaguely placed " the shires" or the remainder of Great Britain. If such ideas ever prevailed, it is certain that they have long passed away, and it would be an injustice to suppose that the inhabitants of these villages are in any way different from their neighbours. Abbots Roding, Aythrop Roding, Beauchamp Roding, Berners Roding, Leaden Roding, and Margaret Roding have already been noticed under separate headings, the others are given below.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5