Ridgewell, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on the old Roman military road known as the Via Devana, 2 ¼ miles SE from Birdbrook, 3 NW from Yeldham station on the Colne Valley, 2 from Stoke station on the G.E.R. (Stowe Valley branch), and 5 ½ SE of Haverhill. It occupies the site of a Roman settlement, has yielded many British and Roman antiquities, including parts of a Roman villa, was once a market-town, and has a post office under Halstead ; money order and telegraph office, Great Yeldham. The parish comprises 1410 acres; population of the civil parish, 550 ; of the ecclesiastical, 561. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. Ridgewell Hall is now a farmhouse. The manor belongs to St John's College, Cambridge. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £161 with residence. Patron, St Catharine's College, Cambridge. The church of St Lawrence is a plastered building in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel with N aisle, nave, N aisle, S porch, and an embattled western tower containing five bells. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ridgwell St. Lawrence|
|Poor Law union||Halsted|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ridgewell from the following:
Online maps of Ridgewell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: