Rettendon, Essex

Historical Description

Rettendon, a parish in Essex, adjacent to the river Crouch, 6 miles NNE of Pitsea, and 3 ½ SSE of Chelmsford. It contains the village of Battles Bridge, which has a station of the same name on the G.E.R. and a post office under Chelmsford; money order office, Battles Bridge; telegraph office, Wickford. Acreage, 3718; population, 758. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belongs to the Bullen family. A seat of the Bishop of Ely was here, and became a farmhouse. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £483. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is a building of rubble in the Perpendicular style; consists of nave, N aisle, chancel, and chapel, with tower and spire; and contains some ancient brasses and some very fine tombs and monuments. There are Congregational chapels at Rettendon Common and Battles Bridge.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Rettendon All Saints
Hundred Chelmsford
Poor Law union Chelmsford

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Rettendon from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Rettendon are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: