Rawreth, Essex

Historical Description

Rawreth, a parish in Essex, on the river Crouch, 8 miles NW of Rayleigh, and 8 NW from Rochford. It is near the Battle Bridge station on the Southminster branch of the G.E.R. Post town and money order office, Battle Bridge, under Chelmsford; telegraph office, Wickford. Acreage, 2375; population, 323. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £484 with residence. Patron, Pembroke College, Cambridge. The church is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, N aisle and S porch, S aisle commonly called Sion chapel, and an embattled western tower.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Rawreth St. Nicholas
Hundred Rochford
Poor Law union Rochford

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Rawreth from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Rawreth are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: