Ramsden Bellhouse, Essex

Historical Description

Ramsden Bellhouse, a parish, with a village, in Essex, adjacent to the river Crouch, 2 ½ miles E by S of Billericay, and 2 ½ W of Wickford station on the G.E.R. It has a post office, of the name of Ramsden Heath, under Brentwood; money order and telegraph office, Billericay. Acreage, 2738;. population, 395. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Stock Harward, in the diocese of St Albans; joint net value, £400. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and a western tower with shingled spire. There is a Congregational chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Ramsdon-Bellhouse St. Mary
Hundred Barstable
Poor Law union Billericay

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Ramsden Bellhouse from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Ramsden Bellhouse are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: