Rainham, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on Ingrebourae Brook, 1 ½ mile from its influx to the Thames, and on the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway, 5 miles ESE of Barking. It forms a considerable street, and has a station on the railway, a post, money order, and telegraph office under Romford, a bridge over the Ingre-bourne, which is navigable for barges to the wharf in the village, and a quay at the brook's mouth. The parish comprises 3253 acres; population, 1669. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £335 with residence. The church is an ancient building of flint and stone dating from the 12th century, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and a massive embattled western tower. It has a brass of 1500. There is also an undenominational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Raynham St. Helen and St. Giles|
|Poor Law union||Romford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rainham from the following:
Online maps of Rainham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: