Radwinter, Essex

Historical Description

Radwinter, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on the river Pant, 4 ½ miles E by S of Saffron Walden station on the G.E.R., and 6 ENE of Newport. It has a post and telegraph office under Saffron Walden ; money order office, Wimbish. Acreage of parish, 3876; population, 799. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £593 with residence. The church is of local stone in the Decorated style, and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with massive tower and tall spire. It has ten stained windows, a carved oak reredos dating from the beginning of the 16th century, and a fine gilded screen separating the chancel from the nave. There are six almshouses and a reading-room. Brockells and Stocking Green are adjacent hamlets.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Radwinter St. Mary
Hundred Freshwell
Poor Law union Saffron-Walden

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Radwinter from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Radwinter are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: