Pebmarsh, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on a small affluent of the river Colne, 3 ½ miles NE of Halstead, and 3 from Bures station on the Sudbury and Haver-hill branch of the G.E.R., is an ancient place, and has a post and money order office (R.S.O.) under Bures, telegraph office, Bures. The parish comprises 2062 acres; population, 491. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor belongs to the Puller family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £350 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Verulam. The church is an ancient building of brick and stone in the Decorated style. It has a curious brass of 1370. There is a Baptist chapel. Dagworth is a hamlet about three-quarters of a mile NW of the village.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Pebmarsh St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Halsted|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pebmarsh from the following:
Online maps of Pebmarsh are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: