Old Ford, Essex

Historical Description

Old Ford, a metropolitan suburb in Stratford-le-Bow parish, Middlesex. The suburb lies on an ancient Roman road, on the river Lea, at the boundary with Essex, and on the North London and Great Eastern railways, a quarter of a mile N of Stratford-le-Bow, and 3 ½ miles ENE of St Paul's, and has stations on the railways, and post offices under London E. The East London waterworks, dyeworks, lucifer-match works, chemical works, and various manufactories are here; and immediately to the NW are Duckett's Canal and the Victoria Park.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: